In order to make career bright, it is essential for individuals after completing academic studies to chose a proper field, where they can show their capabilities. For this purpose, I have chosen marketing field in retail industry after completing my graduation. The reason behind choosing this field is to develop interaction with new people, influence them to buy products of a company and enhance sales accordingly (Ford, Honeycutt and Joseph, 2015).
This would help in developing my career more bright in the field of marketing. Under this assignment, I have described skills, knowledge and experience required for working in an established company.
Analysis and Application
General Trends Which Impact on Retail Industry
After completing MBA in marketing field, I have worked in many small firms in London in the field of marketing. For making my career bright, I have always seek to get better jobs in same field but in established company. For this purpose, I have used to search on indeed.co.uk, naukri.com and other job portals to get job as per my interest. Currently through indeed site, I have got information about job vacancy in ASDA Company as a marketing activity planner in marketing operation team (Prescott, 2012). It is one of the best retailers in UK which operate business in various countries. But due to globalisation, there is an intense competition in retail industry. Therefore, in order to gain competitive advantage and increase sales performance, every company seek to get high qualified and experienced candidates to work for them.
But in context with ASDA, through internet access, I have evaluated that this company mostly gives opportunity to freshers and people having experienced of two to three years in same field. As it believe that freshers come with new ideas to develop innovation in services and enhance productivity of a company. Therefore, it would has given me a chance to show my abilities in respective company and make my career more bright.
- Offering the best assignment writing help
- Delivering the orders as fast as possible
- Providing maximum satisfaction at affordable rates
Through secondary resources like government census report, I have evaluated that from last some years, sales performance of ASDA is not increasing as comparison to other retailers like Tesco and H&M. The reason behind this low performance is emergence of new technologies, where every organisation adopt latest technologies for running business more successfully (Vande Zande and et. al., 2014). In this regard, ASDA wants to introduced new marketers within marketing department who possess sharp technical skills in given field.
Therefore, it currently give an advertisement for the post of marketing activity planner (as shown in Appendix) with relatable roles and responsibilities. Along with this, to know more about ASDA, I have talked with some its existing employees. By making some conversation with them, I have analysed that there is a heavy work pressure in this company, where it is compulsory for every worker to possess knowledge about latest technologies.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience Required
As activity management is considered as a central hub of marketing operations, where managing and planning the activities can only be done by working in collaboration. Therefore, to perform this role i.e. marketing activity planner, a person needs to have strong communication and computer knowledge like MS-Excel and Powerpoint knowledge (Bozionelos, 2015). In ASDA Company, for getting employment for given post (Marketing Activity Planner), it is essential for a person having good experience in same field. Here some other skills that a person need to have are-
- Communicate, negotiate and network: In order to perform given roles and responsibilities for Marketing activity planner, it is essential for a person to have strong negotiation skills and large network. Therefore, by improving this skill I can got this job and enhance sales performance of ASDA as per requirement.
- Collaborate with marketing operations team: As in ASDA thousands of workers work at same place, therefore, to work in collaboration I have to keep calm and share every kind of information with marketing team.
- Strong communication and stakeholder management skills: For a marketer, it is essential to have strong management skills to develop, manage and report on delivery of marketing activity (Prescott, 2012).
- Ability to influence at a senior level: To drive delivery to critical path of point of scale and manage all processes, it is essential for marketers to possess abilities to influence team members to give contribution for completing the same.
- Strong Microsoft Excel & Powerpoint skills: For planning activities to enhance sales and marketing the products, a person should have computer knowledge also.
- Legal knowledge about telemarketing campaign: For marketing planner, a person should have legal knowledge also so that telemarketing campaign can be made in successful manner.
Being a MBA professional I am searching job opportunities that help me to achieve a better career path in retail industry. After searching a lot in different websites, finally I got a job vacancy which from I think is the most suitable one for me. The job vacancy is of Marketing Activity Planner in ASDA Company. In this job profile, I have to plan about different marketing activities which are carried over by the company and will further carry in future. The company is providing grocery, general merchandise and financial services to their customers (Podnar, 2014).
The reason to choose this as the most suitable company is because of having good reputation in the market and is also dealing in the same industry in which I am looking for a job. I am interested in this job because of my particular interest in this industry.
Further I had also completed my studies in the same area in which the company is recruiting employees. I am also having an experience of two years working in the same job profile in some another company so this job will be an easy and adoptable one for me in which I will not require much to ask and consult from others which I have to do in case I had looked for another job in some other sector. Working in big organisations also increases the chances of career development, personal and professional development which every individual wishes to achieve in his career.
I had clearly evaluated about this job profile and has also looked upon the skills and requirements which the company is asking in their employees to get selected. These are the marketing skills, information about the use of modern technology and I am also good in influencing other people.
ASDA is also providing financial services to their customers for which the quality of influencing other persons is necessary and I think than I can influence other people more better than others do. My planning skills are also good as I can also prepare better plan for which I was appraised in my last company in which I was working. The work of this company is totally based on the marketing skills as for making the sales of the company it totally depends upon the abilities of marketing manager (Strauss, 2018).
So this skills will also help me foe getting selected for the job profile posted by the company. The reason why should I be considered from other regarding this job role is because of my own skills and abilities which I had developed while working in other companies.
As the company is looking for those candidates which are not only good in marketing skills but also are better in technical works because the company is making use of modern technology in its working. So I am having both the skills which are marketing and technical which is a plus point for me and that is why I should be considered for this job profile than others.
However this not an emerging or new job role in this industry but this job role is very demanding because this quality of influencing other people are found on very rare basis and it is very hard to influence others in a way which will benefit the company and individual. I am capable of influencing other people easily and in a good way.
There is scarcity of skilled employees in this profession so there are greater chances of career and scope development. Working in big organisations also help in personal and professional development of the individuals as they provide pools of opportunities to their employees which help in their career development (Koc and et. al., 2014).
Good performance of employees can also provide them a chance to work on international level as the company is globalised. So the same reason is also for me and I also want to achieve and make my future safe and secure and that is the reason why I an wishing to work with this company.
Getting Top Grades is No Longer a Dream for You.
From the above assignment it is concluded that for the development of career it is essential to analyse the needs and requirements of the company in which an individual wishes to work with the help of both primary and secondary data for getting known about possibilities of development. Further it is also concluded that for different job profiles different skills are required which hare mandatory to have by an individual which will also contribute towards his own growth and development.
- Koc, E. and et. al., 2014. Are internship programs encouraging or discouraging?—A viewpoint of tourism and hospitality students in Turkey. Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism Education. 15. pp.135-142.
- Strauss, A. L., 2018. Professions, work and careers. Routledge.
- Podnar, K., 2014. Corporate communication: A marketing viewpoint. Routledge.
- Bozionelos, N., 2015. Social capital and careers: Indisputable evidence and note for caution. Handbook of research on sustainable careers, 6782.
- Vande Zande, R. and et.al., 2014. The design process in the art classroom: Building problem-solving skills for life and careers. Art Education. 67(6). pp.20-27.